Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Rude People? Gotcha.

Someone posted on HuffPost about a woman in fast food restaurant berating the counter help because they had put ketchup on her burger.  I read this and remembered this incident.

Ask me about the Home Store (sort of like a Bed Bath and Beyond) incident when I had turned 40...very pivotal experience.....when I turned from young woman to mature woman. 

For starters. It was in a very nice area (Bay Village, Ohio), very upscale.  I nailed a Beemer Driving B*tch for downright rudeness. She is hereafter referred to as BB

Here's the story and yes, it's true and yes, I did say all that because my brain was working!

I had gone into this store which was near where I worked at the time. They were having a huge "going out of business" sale. I had my few things in a basket and got in line. The Beemer B*tch was absolutely berating this poor store clerk, called her "Stupid, Incompetent" Etc. The poor clerk was almost in tears and this was after the BB had stormed to the head of the line, almost knocking over an elderly woman! Sashaying in her designer jeans, tossing her hair back, jewelry jangling like she owned the joint and everyone there were her pickaninnies. 

I said to her, "I beg your pardon, but we were in line in front of you." 

She flipped her hair back with a most definite Who Cares attitude,  ignored me and started in on the clerk. 

I guess I got my Hungarian dander up. I said, "Look, honey, you cannot speak to her like that." 

BB: “I can DO whatever I want.”  Oh, really?

Me: “Look lady, I don't know if you've had a bad day, a bad week, a bad month, bad year, you're on the rag or just bad sex but you cannot speak to her like that. She can't tell you to f---- off. But I can. So go f---- off.” 

BB: “How DARE you? (Seriously.  Swear to God.) You can't speak to me like that!”

Me: "Hmmm. (Pause) Seems I just did.” The stuttering started. You know how people get. 

BB: "Just who the hell do you think you are?"

“I think I'm the gal who just told you to f---- off.  You really want to take it out in the parking lot. Fine.  After you.

She flounced out of the store. I heard the elderly woman say sotto voce, "That's telling her."

The manager thanked me afterwards because that lady had caused them no end of problems for 5 years.  FIVE YEARS!!!

 I don't know as I'd do that now so quickly (this was 1994) but as I think about it….I'd probably still do it. It was pivotal because up to that point in my life, I didn't speak up like that.  I would have been too scared.  I would have inwardly seethed perhaps or literally gotten myself out of there.  I don’t know why this time was different but it was.  I guess I’d hit a level of maturity and even confidence that said, “This time I’ll open my mouth. This time I’m going to do something, not think about it afterwards with woulda-shoulda-coulda wistfulness.”

She wasn't crazy. She was rude! Nowadays it seems we equate rude people with crazy people. There is a difference. I’m tired of people getting the “crazy” excuse for what it really is.  Plain, old-fashioned, downright rudeness.

I'm TIRED OF RUDE.  The customer is not always right.  I'm a customer and I've been wrong.  

I hate to quote my mother but you DO get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.  I've even HAD a crappy day and I've told sales people, "I know it probably isn't you, but I've had a crappy day...."  Etc.   

Again, I hate to quote my mother (because it's a rather old-fashioned quote and hardly PC) but yes, you can always tell a lady or a gentleman by how they treat the help!


And yes, Virginia, she really DID drive a Beemer! Admittedly, there are darling folks who happen to drive Beemers.  She just wasn't one of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment