Total Pageviews

Friday, May 24, 2013

Gig, May 24, 2013


I did a short singing gig this morning in Middleburg Hts. for Memorial Day with another singer, Ray G. and band leader Billy Kay and drummer Tam.  (I can't remember the piano player's name; it's the first I've met him.). I've done this gig for probably 15-20 years.

Let me start by expressing my gratitude for a paying gig.  Some are stupider than others.  Some I've sucked at.  This one, for me, went pretty well.

Speeches were way too long! Worst ever.  That mayor needs to tighten it up.

Our part of the program was 5-7 minutes. Maybe. The rest of it dragged on for forever.

And the speaker? How exactly does a Korean War veteran from IOWA related in any way to anyone from Middleburg Hits.?  I'll tell you...no way.  And sir, since you a retired US Army Reserve Officer that has had to give speeches all over the USA for years, please be way better prepared.

I won't even comment on the bagpiper except to say his pipes have never been in tune and this year was no exception.  Having lived with a very good piper, trust me, I KNOW the difference. My knuckles were white and at times I flinched.  Nice guy but.....

This was a fairly large crowd of most over 50 folks and some veterans.

Since when do people NOT stand up and join in with "God Bless America?" I was somewhat thunderstruck!
I've sung that song at least 500+ times in public (no lie) and this is the first time, esp. with that age group, that NO ONE stood and joined in the singing.  A lot of them didn't stand for the Pledge of Allegiance either. What the hell is that?  I was actually pretty miffed. Disrespectful. Lazy.

There is no way every single stinking one of you is physically incapable of standing,  You sure as hell got to to your feet when the buffet line started.  You were practically trampling each other!

If you're feeling anti-America, stay the hell at home.  Don't come to a Memorial service for the heroes of any generation. Shame on you!!!

To all the veterans out there, on behalf the lazy, ungrateful, unpatriotic folks, I apologize.  And thank you for your service.

No comments:

Post a Comment