Total Pageviews

Friday, May 31, 2013

A Natural Way To Help Wooden Things: A Review

I'll try anything.  Darn near.

Here's my review of this natural method to help wooden things:

Naturally Repair Wood With Vinegar and Canola Oil. So, for a super cheap, use 3/4 cup of oil, add 1/4 cup vinegar. white or apple cider vinegar, mix it in a jar, then rub it into the wood. You don’t need to wipe it off; the wood just soaks it in.

I'd give it a 3 out of 5 stars.

First of all, tons of elbow grease.  (I ain't afraid of no elbow grease, Miss Scarlet!)

But I felt eerily like I was auditioning to be a second floor maid at Downton Abbey. Minus the hot uniform.

It's not hard on your hands, no gloves needed. All natural.  I would imagine the oil will help my skin.

I did 2 chairs, a banged-up side table, a curio cabinet and my dining room floor. That took 3 amounts of the oil and vinegar in the recipe. I used regular vegetable oil and white vinegar.

I bet you could squeeze a lemon or two into the mixture or lemon zest to make it smell less like a bad salad.

My dining room floor is badly gouged and scratched, mostly NO varnish or clear coat on it. The wood is dry and has water damage, so I think the oil will help it.

I normally use lemon oil for wood, love the smell, but unless you get the really good, expensive, pure stuff ---- you should wear gloves.

This does smell like a salad and my cleaning-nut-head GF's animals really enjoyed licking the excess off. it's safe, won't hurt them!

I grew up with my mom telling me wood needed oil at least once a year etc. I'm going to let it soak in overnight, as all the wood in the dining room desperately needed the moisture and then, tomorrow, I'll give it a clean with white vinegar dilute or Murphy's before I put the rug back down.

Bottom line: it would be helpful in terms of dry wood, and it won't hurt anything....but it won't make stuff look like new. NO way!

Just saying!

No comments:

Post a Comment