Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Script For House Bill 14

"Mr. Chairman, Members of the Committee; Ladies and Gentlemen:

My name is Mia Knerly-Hess and I appear today in support of proposed amendments to House Bill 14

For almost two decades, I have been involved in rescue and public education for dog breeds from the Herding, Toy, Terrier and Working groups. As an exhibitor and Obedience competitor, I am a member in good standing of various local, national and international dog breed organizations and training clubs. As a professional photographer, I have chronicled animal cruelty cases and witnessed the animals’ recovery. For the past 18 years, I have also been a presenter of Dog Safety Awareness, Bite Prevention and Responsible Pet Ownership programs, most recently as an Educator for the Humane Society of Greater Akron.

Through my hands-on experience as an exhibitor, competitor, rescuer, foster, educator, trainer and companion, I have come to know dogs of all temperaments, ages, sizes and breeds. I have come to respect and admire the resilient, vibrant, affectionate and forgiving attributes of the type of dogs referred to as “Pit Bulls.”

I urge the Committee to pass House Bill 14 as amended. This Bill would put the onus where it should be: on responsible dog ownership. By extracting the breed specific wording as you have done, you will more closely align our great State with prudent and practical judgment."

1 comment: