Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Pit Bulls Messengers Need Make-Overs

I'm very proud of my friend and her love-a-bull lug-nut, Noel.... I can call her that because I know Noel and I love her dearly. 

So do read her status update below. 

I feel VERY strongly about this and I know I'm going to get a bunch of backlash. And probably a few un-friendings as well. 

While I can admire the "saving dogs" message that the TV show Pit Bulls And Parolees, I still think they're giving a wrong message about Bully type dogs. Pit Boss is a bit better because Shorty is trying to rescue dogs AND run a successful business in a tough town. 


What do you see on those shows? Former criminals "re-formed" which is absolutely wonderful. I admire Shorty in particular because he had many odds stacked against him. But we are seeing a lot of folks that are still giving the "tough dog" message. Lots of tats and piercings and slovenly clothes. We see a lot of (understandably) tough people. I like them but you just can't picture them with a poodle, for instance. 


I for one, think folks like my girlfriend who looks well-groomed, professional, un-tattooed, only one ear piercing, employed, employable, a woman (or man) "over a certain age", someone who just looks "next-door," who looks like a business wo/man, a mom, a dad, a wife, a teacher etc. are what Bully types desperately NEED in a public messenger!! 


I think we need a NEW show: Pit Bulls And Pearls!


My friend's posting, Friday, Sept. 27, 2013 By Laurie F.

I shall start my Friday morning FB educational series, on the heels of what I hear is terrible comments by Nancy Grace - 

Like everything else, if you judge a book by its cover...you will miss all that a good dog is and can be. 


Yes, I have turned my FB page into a "Bully Pulpit". (hey when's the last time I sent a request for Candy Crush or FarmVille to you ?). A few weeks back, in spite of a very difficult week of work - I got up Saturday, groomed the lovely Noel and hauled her little wiggle butt downtown to the Cleveland Pet Expo.

 With most people, who have obviously been watching GOOD reality TV ;-)), I couldn't walk even a few feet without being mobbed with oohs and aahs for our girl. It was so funny every child that saw her plopped down on the concrete and she slid into their arms to be cuddled. 

But then there was the other contingents - first those who saw her tail wagging antics and said awe...bite wouldn't come near, and the third group that would ask me "but aren't they just all unpredictable?" to which I wanted to reply "are you talking about humans?" I responded by saying judge for yourself "would you like to pet her?". I went with this singular agenda...to change as many hearts as possible. A mere year before, this sweet dog lives in god knows what kind of conditions. She was the victim

Of at least two glaringly obvious signs of trauma: a ) her tail was broken in two places (a common thing in thug society is to swing pibble puppies by their tails to make them strong) b) her ears were all but sheared off - most probably with no analgesics, and most probably with kitchen scissors. And yet, this is a solid, loving dog - she wants only to eat, play and be loved. I think people were shaken out of their typical stereotypes reaction, because I was middle aged woman, well dressed with a strand of pearls and a pitbull accessory LOL 


Call me, come to my house and meet her...I will make you tea...and you will walk away with all limbs attached...but maybe a warm heart, slobber on your sleeve and a few dog hairs 

~ Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment