Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Dog Training Snobbery

Why do you have to be a be boarded certified Veterinary Behaviorist to be a Behaviorist??  I think that is rather elitist and somewhat arrogant myself.

That's like saying you have to be a Dr. of Psychiatry to be a shrink?  What about Psychologists or Social Workers?  They go to school, grad school, some get their PhD too.

Horse people don't go through this "labeling" stuff....you either work well with horses (you have "horse sense") and treat them kindly, humanely and with compassion (you "gentle" them) or you break them. Period. I've worked with both kinds.

The really good dog "trainers" or "dog savvy" people I've worked with or spoken with over the years 99 times out of a hundred always know a sh*t-ton-load about behavior and they don't cost $500 for a consult. Who the hell can afford that? I can't!

$500 is going to be spend on classes, private sessions, a seminar or surgery or something like that!
Personally I think it is outrageous what those people charge!

And it's not like "oh, I can call up Dr. Whatshisname and yak about my weirdo dog all the time."

I realize that yes, people do need to do their homework when attending a class, or finding a trainer/behaviorist.  I realize that VB and VST is a speciality and they are highly trained and have to continue their training all the time.  I also realize it 's a new and needed field in companion animals.

Perhaps those people who only charge $50-100 a consult shouldn't call themselves "behaviorists" but they are a heck of lot more accessible to an Average Joe like me or anyone else I know. Don't diss or dismiss a great AP or no-correction/aversive trainer; don't dismiss someone who has vast experience with your breed or type ---  they can be your best source of info and REAL, hands on HELP.

I want to talk to the person who LIVES this life with a odd or scared or aggressive dog or cat or deals with them in a real life scenarios.

I can talk to an RH arthritis doc all I want about having it but I need to talk to someone who has it, lives with it and lives well with it.  Otherwise, It's All Theoretical.

No comments:

Post a Comment